Sunday, June 29, 2008

4.24.8 - Thursday - Day 13 (Kayaking Snorkeling and Glamor Shots)

Click here for the complete photo album for Day 13





The first thing I saw upon waking... I love living in a grass hut!.


We got up in time to catch the continental breakfast which was as lavish as such a thing can be. Again fresh papaya and uncultured yogurt which is stronger than what we are used to but tasty. We rented kayaks, Rae Chris S and I packed packed our snorkeling gear. We paddled across the lagoon and put ashore on a small beach. After poking around a bit and bouldering on the rocks there we swam out to the reef and snorkeled for an hour or so. We came across a school of cuttlefish (a kind of squid) and watched them mating I think. Then swam back to the shore.





Kayaking for fun and profit! ...ok, really just for fun.


Putting the boats out was a little challenging but Rae and Chris didn't have much trouble using the tandem Kayak. I played in the surf a bit but was cautious not wanting to hurt the reef.





Kayaking for fun and profit! ...ok, really just for fun.


We made it back in time for lunch, I had Tahi Coconut chicken curry which was excellent and plentiful.





Sand floor... no shirt, no shoes...no problem!


I decided to go for a second dive but the others passed due to the cost. We were supposed to go for a deeper dive but the water was too choppy for the novice divers in te group so we continued on to a more protected site "mystry reef". It was a bit more vibrant than the previous dive but still showed signs of the cyclones. We saw a small ray which was totally unconcerned with our presence. The dive master found a live Tiger Cowlery and I found three Moles Eye cowlrey's, all larger than any I had seen before. I'll take pictures of the ones I have from my previous trip.





Not the best rocks ever, but the scenery makes up for it.


The dive master found a tiny Mantis shrimp and one of the other divers got pictures with his digital camera which was the smallest waterproof digital I have ever seen. I spotted a lion fish and everyone admired it from a safe distance.





There are better beaches in the world... but only two.


We got bsck and I relaxed a bit on the beach before dinner. Dinner was a fish buffet.I'm not much for fish but this was really good. Both the deep fried and broiled and the raw lime cured fish stew...man do I love that stuff.





Wow...just wow...


We had our bags moved to the dorm which was nice even if it didn't have the privacy of the bury. Oh, we aranced a private guide to take us up to te summet since the next day's group was scheduled to go elsewhere.





Not bad for a dorm.


1 comment:

Gary B said...

Chris B., wow. This really cinches it! We're going to Fiji NEXT YEAR. The pix are really inspiring and the commentary sets a great mood. I can't wait ; )
dad-san